> Larry wrote:
>
> Thanks for the suggestion -- I'm not sire it will work on my 300D
> with the GPR under the dash. //But I'll read your commment and
> see if I can apply them to my 240D, Will save the directions for
> my 300D  although i have done the WSM tests on it successfully.
> Never hurts to have alternatives....

Hold on a minute!

Is the car a W115 or a W123?

What I'm really asking is, are the glowplugs series-type or
parallel-type?  The easiest way to tell which type is by looking at
the side of the engine.  Series plugs have zig-zag "toaster wire"
between each glow plug.  Parallel-type does not.

If you are referring to series style glow plugs,

!!!!!  DO NOT CONNECT ONE TO A 12V BATTERY CHARGER OR BATTERY !!!!

If you do, it will almost instantly burnout!  Each series glow plug
is only rated for a couple volts.  Testing with 12 V will destroy
them.

I don't have a good way to test series plugs - partly 'cause on the
only car I had that used them I rewired and installed parallel
plugs.

I suppose you could use a headlight as a current limiter and
measure the voltage drop across the glow plug...

If I'm misunderstanding your comment about the glowplug relay being
under the dash and it really does have parallel glow plugs, then I
would just modify the test procedure I mentioned before.  If at all
possible/practical, use the ammeter between the glowplug supply and
individual glowplug wires.  If working under the dash is difficult,
or it's not practical to separate the glow plug leads to test them
one at a time, you could disconnect the wire at the glow plug and
test there.  This tests the plug - but not the rest of the system.

By the way, what is meant by "i have done the WSM tests"?

> > > Larry wrote:
> > >
> > > I was wondering - I'd like to test the GPs on my 240D - would
> > > it be acceptable to hook them 1 at a time to my battery
> > > charger?

> > Fmiser wrote:
> >
> > Yes - but all you will be able to tell is if it glows.  I think
> > it's a lot easier to test it still in the engine.
> >
> > I attached 12 AWG wire leads to an old automotive dash style
> > ammeter that reads -30 0 +30 Amps.
> >
> > To use it, I pop the top off of the glow relay and unplug the
> > connector for the glow plugs. There is a contact for each glow
> > plug in this connector.  I clip one meter lead to the fused
> > side of the big, screw-in fuse and then touch each glowplug
> > contact, one at a time. The socket has pin numbers molded into
> > it, and these numbers correspond to the cylinder number.
> >
> > This method tests the supply 12V, the wire, and the plug. When
> > cold, a good plug draws about 20A (Well, on my meter it point
> > to the mark for 20 amps. I have not calibrated or tested the
> > accuracy of that meter...) It will drop back to about 15A
> > after 8-10 seconds.

--    Philip