Very cool. I've learned something today. "sharp top cutoff" meaning they don't shine up into drivers' eyes, I assume. Wish I had some.

Brian

From: Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240 vs SD Go Trucks
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:19:53 -0800

> I've never actually found out: Do "fog lights" really cut through
> fog? Most of the time, they are just used to look cool.

Yes indeed they do.  And yes indeed they are.  When it's so
foggy that you find yourself rolling down your window to stick
your head out to get a bit better visibility, _that's_ when
having real fog lights (extra wide patterns with a sharp
top cutoff, and not those stupid Subaru and Dodge pickup
floodlights) can really help keep you on the road.  And
in those circumstances it can also help to be able to
turn off the headlights and run only on the fogs.  Days
when you wish you could have stayed (or already be) home.

-- Jim