Abraham Lincoln was a Republican who freed the blacks from slavery, Democrats did not like that.

Henry Ford freed the mule, I'm not sure what his orientation was but he did not like Jews.

The Dixiecrats did not support civil rights legislation but our very own Ol' Strom had his own civil (or uncivil I suppose) relationships with a black woman, and had a change of mind after admitting to Essie Mae.

So political labels are somewhat fluid and sorta meaningless.

--R