One time just after I'd graduated High School the mother of a girl I was trying desparately to get into the sack wouldn't believe I was from Maine because I had no discernable accent. I've been told I have "California Newscaster Flat Accent" which is useful in my job doing phone support but doesn't have any regional intrigue at all.

I'm in the same position. Moved around too much. Everyone in the midwest thinks I'm native to here. But I can put on a wicked thick one if I've a mind to it, from all those years of listening to my Grandfather (from Gardiner) tell stories.

Dan

--
Dan Weeks
Freelance Writing and Photography