Wow!  Glad nobody hurt; a pity to have the car messed up, though.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cathey" <j...@windwireless.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:53 PM
Subject: [MBZ] RIP, Frankenheap?

On an errand after work today, on a snowing and very icy evening, I
was rear-ended at a stop light, and pounded into the car in front of
me.  No one was hurt, but the cars...  My rear bumper was pushed in,
and the trunk is jammed shut, but on the whole it doesn't look too
bad.  However, on the front I dove under the bumper of the SUV in
front of me, which pushed the grille into the radiator, and popped it.
One of the Euro headlights was smashed, as were both auxiliary high
beams.  The grille and surround are ruined.  The hood won't open either.

After all the paperwork exchange the car seemed driveable, but halfway
home the heat went out.  The coolant loss got to be too much, I guess.
I slowed down to minimal throttle in third gear, and made it the rest
of the way home air-cooled.  I noticed no ill effects.

I'm pretty saddened by the whole thing, I'm not sure what to do next.
I've been driving this car in winters for about 10 years now, loving
every minute of it.

-- Jim