Gateways seem to be disasters, Dells , as you say have problems, and I know of problems with sony and toshiba too. Nobody I know uses thinkpads, and they are no longer IBM.

Bummer....  Doesn't leave much to choose from except no-names

This old dell weighs about 28 pounds.  Probably why it is a survivor.

At 11:16 PM 1/11/2006, you wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:23:32 -0600, Loren Faeth wrote
> even have a 6-7 year old Dell laptop that is still running, and that
> is really something.

Maybe more than you know.  My experience with Dell laptops hasn't been good.
They're kind of flimsy and eventually develop problems due to too much
internal flexing.  I saw this with two in a previous job, and a third in my
current job.  Some models in their Latitude series also go through batteries
and processor fans.  (Two fans under warranty, on one Latitude C600.)

These days I'll only buy IBM or Toshiba, when it comes to laptops.