'Sounds like a good ATTABOY, anyway.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Curt Raymond" <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
To: "Diesel List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:20 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Jetta Glowplug harness

Heres one where we can all remember why we like diesel MBs. VW uses a molded plastic harness that pushes on to the glowplugs. Its a bit like sparkplug leads but all one unit. They fail pretty regularly (kinda like sparkplug wires) and need replacing. Mine has been wonky all winter throwing the check engine light but still apparently passing enough current since the car started good. I got a lightly used OEM replacement and today went after it. Getting the old harness out was easy, mine crumbled, but getting the wiring connectors out was impossible. They go into a plastic housing that I couldn't get to unscrew. Finally I did what apparently most people do which is I cut the wires on the old one and spliced the new one in with butt connectors. I filled the connectors with RTV to seal them since I didn't have any of the good glue type shrink wrap.

Started the car and no CEL. It probably wouldn't have anyway since above about 40 degrees the glowplugs don't really come on. We'll see on the next cold day.

-Curt

All posts are the result of individual contributors and as such, those individuals are responsible for the content of the post. The list owner has no control over the content of the messages of each contributor.