On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM, arche...@embarqmail.com <
arche...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> While most of the buzz surrounding OpenSSL's Heartbleed vulnerability has
> focussed on websites and other servers, the SANS Institute reminds us that
> software running on PCs, tablets and more is just as potentially vulnerable.

Networking equipment, backup applications, video cameras, networked
refrigerators, printers, networked storage, digital TVs and boxes that can
be remotely managed - anything with an internet connection that can be used
remotely.  It doesn't have to be a web server, just has to be able to use a
relatively recent version of OpenSSL's TLS. (I have read that OpenSSH does
not, by the way.)

Embedded device programmers tend to adopt libraries very slowly, so many of
these oddball devices will be so far out of date that an exploit created in
the past two years isn't a serious threat. Of course you might have other
known threats that were never patched; bigger companies will have a
security team to keep on top of such things, but many hardware companies
won't release patches after a relatively short time beyond public ship.

If you aren't using a password manager, now is a good time to start, since
you really should change every password everywhere over the next few weeks.
 You won't have any idea if your information has leaked, and I would expect
smart attackers will hold back data until the smoke has cleared.

I haven't seen any financial coverage, but HB could have leaked credit card
details, bank information, social security numbers, and so on.
 Unfortunately the US banks are in such a state that there's not a great
solution for that, as far as I know.  Any suggestions?

Best,
Tim