In a message dated 1/15/2006 1:34:26 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

We're  contemplating a 220D project.  Questions:
1. How does  the 0-60 time compare to the 240D?
2. Is there any significant  advantage in fuel economy over the 240D?
3. Are there any other  major differences between the W115 220D and 240D?

Bruce,

Either car would make a stout vehicle that should run until it rusts  away.
I had a 66 200D and a 74 240D both with 4speed manual  transmissions.  We
drove each of them well over 100,000 miles after I  overhauled them.  The 200D,
being  lighter, would accelerate about  even with the 240D, which had about 5
more horsepower.

As to the differences:

The 220D will have a 4.08:1 axle vs the 3.69 of the 240D, so it would top
out sooner and be much more buzzy at 75 MPH.  Engine speed does not seem to
affect MPG so the lighter 220D will get better mileage. The 240D (3205#)is 200#

heavier than the 220D (2997#).

Most important, both of mine smoked like crazy at high atltitude as they  had
no altitude compensation.  For this reason, I would recommend that you  look
for a 75-76 version of the 240D, 115 chassis, as they did have the ADA, an
altitude compensator on the fuel injection pump.  I am sure this injector
could
be retrofitted to the earlier fours if you already have a car in  hand.

Finally, the 76 model got a 20.6 gallon fuel tank vs 17. 2 for earlier
models of the 115.

Have fun!

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ