rumor has it that [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Panasonic Toughbooks are everything they say they are, hell the
> military uses them in the field and law enforcement equips vehicles
> with them. damn good laptop, but you'll pay big $$ for one. worth it
> though

> From: Fmiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> rumor has it that Loren wrote:
>
> > Gateways seem to be disasters,  Dells , as you say have problems, and I
> > know of problems with sony and toshiba too.  Nobody I know uses thinkpads,
> > and they are no longer IBM.
> >
> > Bummer....  Doesn't leave much to choose from except no-names
> >
> > This old dell weighs about 28 pounds.  Probably why it is a survivor.
>
> What about Panasonic?

It seems there are three level of toughbooks.

Fully rugged.  CF-28 and such.
        These are the ones that can survive a rainstorm while they are
        open.

Semi-rugged.  CF-73 and such.
        These have vents and fans and so won't survive a rain storm. But
        they do have spill-proof keyboards.

Then there's the CF-48, CF-50 and such. Metal frame, built tough
(so I hear) but no serious protection against dust/water.

This is the series I got. It's a used machine. 1.8GHz processor, 256M
RAM, 20G harddrive, CD-RW, floppy (?), serial port for less than $700.
Soon I'll be able to report on a Linux install on it. *smile*

                    Philip, with a new toy and no time to play...