My 5 year old 19" Dell monitor used every day gradually expanded the image horizontally making it unusable. I took the monitor apart and found a 330 mfd 15 volt capacitor had a slightly rounded top. That was the only problem I could find. Radio Shack had no 330 mfd capacitors but I did have a 330 mfd "50 volt" in the pc parts bag which was much bigger than the questionable cap and wouldn't fit in the same place as the one it was replacing. Fortunately the bigger cap had long leads, so I layed it over on top of several other components that were unlikely to run hot on the logic board. Put everything back together twice since I always forget something (this time the insulation sheet for the power supply), plugged it in and: Voila!, good as new!. It's been running for about an hour, so it looks like the fix might stay fixed.

Gerry......patting self on back for undeserved good guess.