Jim Cathey wrote:
My wife also apparently never learned to drive on a manual
steering vehicle.  She scrubs the tires mercilessly.  It's
amazing how much easier it is to get around if you let out
the clutch a bit first before starting to turn.  It's so
vastly easier, and so much easier on the mechanism too.

I learned this real quickly when I had a VW Bus. It came in handy later when I blew a power steering line on my Volvo 240. With a dinky little steering wheel meant for use with power assist, it was almost impossible to turn the wheels unless I crept forward or backwards slowly. Later on that same trip I drove into a heavy ice storm at night, and was actually glad of the extra road feel.