Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> writes:

> I had a student a couple weeks ago on Republic. Sprint network when not using
> wi-fi right? Only a couple choices of phones too if I remember right.
>
> Still for the price I suspect its worth it. I don't think I have a contract
> with Verizon since my phone was grandfathered from the company. I should
> seriously think about dumping the big V and go with Republic. I had a Sprint
> phone before and the coverage was fine around here.

I just bought the Moto G through Republic Wireless last month. Your
other choice is Moto X. Yeah I guess that's limited compared to other
carriers but how many different choices do you need in Android phones,
really? It has the latest Android (KitKat) and a decent camera.

It's my first smartphone. All in all I'm happy, so far. I'm on the
$10/month for voice and text plan. It does use the Sprint network for
cellular, and Wifi for data. Uses wifi for calls too when it can, which
is great because cellular service is very marginal at my house. That was
actually the main attraction of Republic for me.

Calls over WiFi are not perfect, especially if a lot of other activity
is happening on the network (e.g. a couple of kids on netflix or
youtube). It's pretty agressive about falling back to cellular if WiFi
quality is poor (this happens seamlessly) but I had to disable that on
my home network because there's really no cellular to fall back to.

Supposedly a good router with QoS capabilities can help, but if I have
to go drop $200 on a new router I've defeated some of the savings. So
I'm holding off, at least until I need a new router for some other
reason.

Allan