Actually, what you said is true of compressed natural gas, as opposed to LP
(aka propane), which is heavier than air.  The main advantage of alcohol in
marine applications (vs Diesel or kerosene) is that water extinguishes
alcohol fires pretty well.  On the other hand, alcohol does not burn as hot,
it's costly per BTU, and the flame is invisible in sunlight.  Also,
pressurized systems burn hotter but are considerably less safe than
wick-style systems.  Stoves on cruising monohull sailboats are almost always
gimbaled.

Scott