OK Don via Mercedes wrote:
I welded up a lot of VW exhaust systems back when I worked at the foreign
car shop (working through school) for customers who wouldn't pay the $100
or so for a new exhaust system. Some of them were probably 30% welding rod
by the time I finished. Welding (gas) rusted exhaust pipes/mufflers is a
real art ----

Fast becoming an expensive art. Michigan Airgas or whatever its called these days wants more than a dollar a cubic foot for Acetylene refills. Figure on paying $90-100 depending on the exact fill for a 70-75 cubic foot tank.

Mitch.