My father-in-law has always been reluctant to talk about his wartime service.
This was due to the fact that he was a POW camp guard, and in his mind not a
worthy contribution to the war effort.

He's never really opened up about it at length, but we know that he guarded
German prisoners at Camp Atterbury in south central Indiana, close to the town
he grew up in, Ninevah, IN.

What we do know is that many of the POWs were used as farm laborers and were
well thought of by the locals. They welcomed the into their homes and became
friends with many of them.  From what we were told a number of them either
remained in the area after the war or returned on their own to live in the area.

There was a large German community in Indianapolis, so I am sure some might
have headed that way. The area I grew up in on the south side of Indianapolis
had a lot of first generation German immigrants who were farmers.

Dan

Sent from my iPad