Maybe the hose is all buggered and is collapsing when fuel is pumped through it (here I am assuming the pump is sucking it from the tank) or has crap in it from sitting so long. The filter aspect would also be a good place to start. How hard would it be to get a mity-vac on a fuel line and see if you can pump some (sucking?) from the tank? Take along some generic fuel line, run it from the tank vicinity to the fuel pump and see if you can bypass the line? It most definitely sounds like a fuel starvation issue of some sort. I had a lawnmower do that, ended up cleaning the whole fuel system and carb to get it to run right.

I wonder too if the tank has gotten rusty from sitting in a humid environment, using crap ethanol fuel, etc. and that has clogged the filter?

--R (no expert on Benz vergassers)