Any simple tests I can perform to determine if this is the case?

On the BW W126 forum a number of people have said that when they sit the tank
gets crudded up with particulates smaller than what the stock filter can catch,
and that ends up int eh fuel distributor among other places, causing problems.
Some of them who have experienced this have been successful using a 10 micron
spin-on filter ahead of the pump(s).

Dan