I think a lot of it (for him) was cultural, in that the "man" of the house was
the breadwinner, the one in charge, the final authority, etc.  I don't think
anyone around him ever criticized him for what he did (although it's remotely
possible someone might have at the time) but for whatever reason he did not
fight overseas, so it could very well be a self-imposed sort of thing that made
him feel somehow inadequate.

I can tell you that some bonds from that time period continue to earn interest
to this day - I had a great aunt who, upon her passing, we found bundles of
bonds, some war bonds, that were worth far beyond their face value at the time
(1970s) because the interest was continued to be paid until surrender.

Dan

Sent from my iPad