My FIL has said that while he was a guard, it was sort of a joke in the sense
that none of these guys were a threat of any sort and they got along well. They
knew they had it good from a POW standpoint compared to how bad it could be.

>From the few stories he told, they weren't even secured at night, and were
>often entertained at local homes for dinner and holidays.

Understand that this was a really rural area at the time and the opportunity to
escape without the assistance of the locals would be pretty slim, too.

Dan

Sent from my iPad