I took the car along the next day to make sure the key worked all around, and
to get some spares.

I asked if he had rebuilt the lock.  He did not.  The PO had used graphite to
keep his key turning in the lock, and that had gummed it up something fierce.
A good blasting with Tri-flow to remove the snot got it back to working order
just fine.

clay