I think you guys are overreacting.  Most of the HOA horror stories revolve
around established communities with some "old guard" board members who try to
run it like their own personal fiefdom.  I can say from personal experience
that this is the exception rather than the norm.

It would be easy enough to scope out a community in advance if you were
interested in it and talk to some of the residents, or even attend a meeting to
get a feel for the tenor of the group.  A good indicator is the age and make-up
of the community - are there a lot of families or retirees?

Walmart is truing to build a superstore just adjacent to our community.  If it
wasn't for the HOAs and their ability to provide a way for the neighbors to
combine their resources we wouldn't be able to fight them.

I would expect that it's newer communities in that part of the world that have
HOAs.

This article is a good example of an HOA gone off the rails.  That guy wouldn't
get a blink in my neighborhood.

Dan "El Presidente"