That is insightful, as some time ago when I was looking for a car for the
youngest son I seriously considered both Jettas and Passats.  Nearly every used
one I looked at had issues or a history of lousy maintenance (if any.)

My brother owned an early 2000s Passat that he bought new.  It was a PITA from
a parts standpoint, especially with window regulators for some reason.  He got
to the point where he just kept his right rear window wedged in place, as they
replaced I don't know how many regulators.  The worst part was that when they
did fail, none were to be found in the States and they had to come from
Germany.  Often took 2-3 weeks or more.

Too bad, as I like the Passat.

Dan