I take exception to this statement.

If flushing were such a bad thing, there would be literally tens of thousands
of failed transmissions out there.

I hear talk of "fluid shock" on occasion as well, and find this just as bogus.
That is described as the condition where one drains and refills a transmission
and the lack of "dirty" fluid full of old material causes the transmission or
valve body to fail.

Think about this logically:

Dealers, indies and others have historically drained and replaced fluid in
slushboxes for years.  If there was the potential for damage or failure be
replacing the fluid or flushing there's no way they would be doing it, for fear
of having to buy the customer a new transmission.

I've had a couple of non-MB transmissions flushed by competent independent
mechanics.  The last one was the wife's 2005 Mazda 6, which was flushed at the
factory interval of 75k.

It's worked perfectly since it was done.

Some claim that by flushing or doing a complete drain and refill you take
friction material that was floating around in the system and "helping" the
clutches and bands to continue working.

Bogus.

Most of that material, not all, ends up in the filter.

I had the discussion about "fluid shock", which is the procedure you recommend
to prevent such a condition, with a 20+ year MB line mechanic at my local
dealership.  He said that in his tenure he has never heard of such a thing, and
that they regularly drain and refill transmissions all the time without ever
encountering a failure.

He thought it was funny.

Just my $0.02.

Dan