 From: Fmiser via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:01 PM
Subject: [MBZ] OT - small gasoline engine fuel

I have voice my uncertainty about the supposed risks of ethenol in gasoline.

Well, about a week ago my one push mower started running really
poorly.  It acted like a fuel problem, so I kinda wondered if the
ethenol muck had finally got me.  This is the mower I use rather
infrequently.  I don't remember the last time I ran it long enough
to use more than a tank full of fuel.  And it's an old Briggs with
a vented gas cap.  I don't think I run it more than 3-4 times a
year, typical for the last 15 years.  In that time, I have very
deliberately sought out and used nearly exclusively ethenol-blend
gasoline.

I pulled the tank off, opened up the carburetor - clean as a
whistle.  No sludge, no varnish, no gunk.  It was so clean in
seemed a waste of effort to wash it - but I did used carb cleaner to
wash out a couple small pieces of dirt that settled in the "bowl".

The problem?  A very worn needle valve.  I didn't have a
replacement on hand, so I filed it smooth and reinstalled.  Runs
okay - but I'm going to replace that needle valve and seat anyway.

So - am I just lucky?  Or is the real problem going to and/or from
ethenol blend?  I dunno - but my experience, with all my gasoline
machines, suggests ethenol is good!

--   Philip

individuals are responsible for the content of the post.  The list owner has no