> Andrew wrote:
>
> The tach in my 1983 300TD is temperamental, and probably on its
> last legs. Half the time it's pegged at zero then it behaves
> erratically and eventually calms down and performs correctly.

Sure sounds like the classic symptoms of poor connections on the
tach amp socket.  This is a round cylinder thing (mini-silo) that
lives on the port side inner fender.  On an '85, the socket is
there - but it's empty!  Prior to '85 there should be a plugin
module.  The classic fix is a cigarette butt between the top of the
cover and the amp to make it push down tighter in the socket.