I had the same series printer. All the ink fed through channels into one printhead. Like yours, if the printer sat for a while without being used, the ink dried up and the only solution offered by Canon was to buy another printhead holder for $50. I carefully took apart the ink cartridge carrier as well as the printhead and used warm water, the diluent that comes in a cartridge refill kit, small wires, a large hypodermic syringe/needle, etc. to clean out the passages and the head. It worked after that until the electronics died, but the printing was not quite as good as it had been before. Canon soon solved the problem by putting printheads in each of the cartridges. If a printhead goes bad and there is a reasonable amount of ink in it, Walmart at least, will give you another cartridge. For the last year I've used one of those new type Canon printer/copiers which I bought for $37 at Walmart. It's worked flawlessly and serves my purpose since I don't use it a great deal. Yesterday I purchased essentially the same printer but with the addition of faxing ability for $78 from Walmart. It will go in the office in the house and the older Canon will go to the shop office. The last HP printer I bought lasted less than a year before it's electronics went bad, and it cost twice as much as the Canons. HP used to be the gold standard, and their large business printers may still be, but their small printers seem to have problems as do Epsons.
For the present, my choice is Canon for low volumes of work
Gerry