On 12/08/2014 6:35 AM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes wrote:
Fmiser via Mercedes wrote:

That's fine on paper - but the EPA is making it really difficult to
get _any_ new generators built.  Around here they have been trying
to add base-load capacity but either can't or
can't-because-it's-to-expensive.

And that's why many utilities will pay you money to get an Energy Star refrigerator. What struck me as funny 20 years ago was that Consumers here in Michigan was implementing conservation programs (they weren't yet desperate enough to pay you to conserve) and Illinois Power was mailing out 8w night lights to all their customers. Consumers was trying to avoid summer brownouts from undercapacity, IP was trying to increase base load so they could generate more of their power at their base load cost.

Mitch.

Sadly, the new energy efficient refrigerator is likely not much better than junk. We have a "beer fridge" in the basement ( in a lovely avocado green color )that is chugging away 41 years after we acquired it. It has a couple of issues but still keeps things nice and cold. The main refrigerator in the kitchen has been replaced 3 or 4 times and the current one will likely give up before the old one does.

Randy