-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of John Berryman
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:39 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OM617 chain stretch

On Jan 17, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Loren Faeth wrote:

> Has anyone got a link to the instructions on measuring valve timing
> on the
> OM 617 300D?  I need to send instructions to someone, and i don't
> want to
> type it all out.

     How's this: Remove valve cover, line-up marks on cam sprocket
and front bearing tower, read scale on front damper. This is to check
chain stretch but will tell you if valves are in time. The only way
to change timing of the valves is to set the sprockets in the wrong
position or change a worn chain.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am