Being the owner of a now defunct 280 SE 4.5L and never having had the pleasure of driving one in new condition, I find the review pretty snarky, especially the "looking down the nose at" comments on replacing the overhead cams with pushrods.

The American competitors for a Benz in those days had 450 to 460 cubic inch pushrod engines and got 8 miles per gallon -- my neighbors had an Olds 98. Got six mpg if you got heavy with the foot. Driven lightly and set for milage rather than performace (the lean end of the spec) the Benz will get 14 every day, 17 on the highway. I know, I did.

The 3.5L is 214 cu in. The 4.5L is 276 cu in, far smaller than even a Chevy 350, and has similar hp output when you measure it at the transmission output shaft (hp rating from the US in those days were grossly exaggerated). 232 hp in a 3200 lb car (not two tons, but the way) is plenty. The Benz turns out 1.3 hp/cu in, the American iron struggles to generate 0.7, and the 3.5L M117 turns 6200 rpm. A Caddy will toss a rod if you try to go over 4500 rpm.

The fluid coupling and 4-speed tranny was a problem, and my 4.5L has the three speed with torque converter, a better combination, and while it might not beat a Caddy coupe off the line, it will spank it at 70. Germans require passing power, and that Benz has it in spades. It's difficult to maintain speed on the interstate, it always wants to run, and normal country driving is a problem, mine always wanted to go 60 mph at light throttle.

The handling comments are just silly, a Caddy of that vintage (or Lincoln) had enough understeer for three cars and plowed like a wounded whale. You do get some roll oversteer out of the Benz, but nothing like what you get once one of those land yachts gets into a turn and lifts the inside rear tire off the road as the door handles dig into the asphalt. Butt backwards into the ditch, I've seen it time and again. The swing axle rear end can also jack on you in hard cornering, but it's predictable and controllable. The Benz will simply outdrive any American car of that vintage, except maybe a Super B or a Shelby, but neither of those are luxury sedans.

And they miss the main point, as far as I'm concerned. If you have your seat belts on, you can walk away from a very severe accident in that Benz. You wouldn't in a contemporary American luxury car, they were tin cans.

We will politely overlook the fact that the American sedans would usually be junk by 100,000 miles while the Benz would look and run like new, eh?

Peter