What Peter said.

The headlights on these cars are woefully inadequate even for their time, and
border on being dangerous when driving the car at highway speeds, in my
opinion.  My R129 (SL500) has the same lights as the W124, and I might as well
be holding a candle in front of a reflector.  It's about as efficient as these
headlights...

You can find OE Euro headlights from some guys in Eastern Europe at fairly
reasonable prices.

Another very low cost but high return item is to use relays to switch the
headlights so you can run heavy duty wiring,  By doing this you almost
eliminate voltage drop and can utilize high wattage (80/100) lamps as well.

As I used to like to say, I can melt the soccer mom's Ford Explorer bumper in
front of me with a headlight setup like this.

The difference is nothing short of night and day.

Dan