On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:01:22 -0400 Dan Penoff via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> While I think I have a good understanding of DNS, the MX thing has me
> puzzled, so I'll toss it out here with the hope that someone out there
> knows how I can sort this out:

Yes, MX is a little confusing; I'm not sure I completely understand it
myself.

> I had a domain (penoff.com) hosted on 1and1.  My email address was
> "d...@penoff.com" and was forwarded from the domain to Verizon, my ISP.
> I also forwarded the address to Gmail as well for redundancy.

So in that case, Verizon did take incoming mail from your domain. You
just need to repeat what was set up then. (The only problem, I'm sure is
finding out what you had then.)

> When I went to transfer my domains to GoDaddy on Sunday, they suggested
> that I configure off-site DNS so that when the domains transferred in
> they would be able to configure DNS on the spot.

That was the first step in my switchover from 1&1 to SWCP. They changed
1&1's DNS record from 1&1's DNS server to theirs. Then, when the domains
were transferred, they changed the DNS registration to point to their
servers instead of 1&1's. It caused a few hours of downtime, but worked
just fine.

> As one might expect, when the DNS changes propagated, it broke my mail,
> as the MX records didn't match in DNS.

I just ran this:

[craig@mccluskey ~]$ nslookup penoff.com
Server:         198.59.115.2
Address:        198.59.115.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find penoff.com: No answer

[craig@mccluskey ~]$ host penoff.com
penoff.com mail is handled by 10 smtp.verizon.net.
[craig@mccluskey ~]$

That tells me you have no web server but have mail configured, as I do
here:

[craig@mccluskey ~]$ nslookup pisquared.net
Server:         198.59.115.2
Address:        198.59.115.2#53

*** Can't find pisquared.net: No answer

[craig@mccluskey ~]$ host pisquared.net
pisquared.net mail is handled by 10 mx1.swcp.com.
[craig@mccluskey ~]$

> I can configure the MX servers in my DNS control panel at GoDaddy,
> however, I'm a little confused as to how my mail will get to Verizon.
> I say that since the former incoming mail from my web host was
> forwarded to Verizon (dpen...@verizon.net) in this form, not as
> "d...@penoff.com".

With your information at GoDaddy, I presume you have some sort of mail
handling service so mail coming to your domain is not rejected. If you
do (and I don't see how you would not), all you need to do is set it up
to forward from d...@penoff.com to dpen...@verison.net.

> If I send an email to d...@penoff.com, it goes to my domain and gets
> resolved by the MX settings, which send the mail to smtp.verizon,net.
> Since the incoming mail has my domain rather than a *@verizon.net"
> domain address, how would the Verizon mailservers know it's mail for
> me? (dpen...@verizon.net.)
>
> In other words, how would they resolve my domain name to my personal
> account?

My situation is slightly different because my domain hosting and email
serving are by the same company. I do, however, have a forward from, for
example, diese...@pisquared.net to the account at which I really pick up
my email. That forward is a part of my domain hosting.

> Help?

How about calling tech support at Verizon and GoDaddy?

Craig