On 16/08/2014 9:28 AM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
Randy,

I was chatting with a Canadian guy on one of the other forums I frequent about
(aboot?) car insurance.

Is it significantly different in Canada compared to the States, or are you
familiar with our car insurance system here?

Just curious....

Dan
_______________________________________

In Manitoba, we have Manitoba Public Insurance Corporation - MPIC or Autopac. A government run monopoly on car insurance. It is no fault so you cannot sue for injuries. They have a chart of some sort so if you lose your hand in an accident, they pay you the same whether you were a car sales man or a surgeon. It started out cheaper than private insurance companies. No idea if it still is. In Winnipeg we pay from about $1200 to $1400 each for my truck, my wife's 07 Accord and the old 300D. It gets switched to storage insurance between Nov 1 and whenever the roads get cleaned up in the spring so I don't pay the full bore on it. That is with a pretty good driving record. They are all registered to my wife. She wrecked the Toyota Avalon a few years back but apart from that, no driving issues so she has a full load of merit points.

My elder son moved to Ottawa, Ontario and pays about the same there as he did here for a Mazda 3. Cannot recall what year - must be a 2011 or 2012. That is Ottawa however and I am told if he were in Toronto, he would likely pay about 3 times as much.

Here in Manitoba, the rates are lower if you don't live in Winnipeg but only if you don't commute into Winnipeg daily.

Ontario has private insurance and a modified no fault system. You can sue for big injuries but not for the small stuff.

Saskatchewan has SGI so very similar to our MPIC and BC has BCIC again like MPIC.
Alberta remains private insurance.

Not sure about Quebec. I think they were first in Canada to have no fault but I don't know as though they have state run monopoly insurance.

No real idea what goes on in the Maritimes.

Back when we used to sue for damages on auto accident claims, we had to include a claim for medical costs. The state run insurance company would reimburse the state run hospital for costs of treatment in auto accidents so I don't know as though our tax funded medical system made our car insurance any cheaper. Our medical costs were no so high as you generally hear about medical costs in the USA so it may have helped in that regard.

How is that for a general answer to your question?

Randy