No same principle applies, say you buy a $500 rust bucket that needs major mechanical work as well. Itemise all the costs and the figure will be way high, depending on how much you can do. Plus a neglected car is more likely to break down and leave you by the side of the road, compared to one that has been maintained. Would you think that you could get a 500 beater up to the standard of that green 123 for 7k? Perhaps if you have access to a fully equipped workshop and spray booth and know how to handle all the tools like a pro. How much is a quality paint job these days? Sure anyone that is handy with their hands can do a course to learn the art and that is a challenge. Or you can spend the 7.9k on the car and go fishing with it, while some other slob starts a rolling restoration and then gets tired of it, half way through.
How many of these "was gonna fix er up" ads do we see in a year?
If working on cars is your hobby, then yeah a 'good value' car that is not perfect but is not worn out is the go, do the essential to get it to a standard of reliability and then tinker away at it, plus if you buy at the bottom of the depreciation cycle you should not lose too much money on it.

Hendrik
whose cars are not quite rolling restorations