That did happen on the 300SE.  Today #1 boy drags me out to the car to show me
the coolant mess near the overflow tank.  Having not seen it before, I thought
it was his head gasket.  The spew was not at all as dramatic as he portrayed.
Seemed to come from the overflow hose from the rad.  Closer look shows a micro
crack.  Hot fluid was escaping, but not horrid.  No shoe goo, so I drug out the
spare tank and had him clean it out and install.

All good now

clay