Here's the drill:

Get everything clean and dry. Use carb cleaner on the slot in the lower cover where the seal goes and blow dry with compressed air.

Put a small amount of the sealant in each corner and lay the seal into the slot dry and clean. Make sure you do not trap anything, including sealant, under the rubber seal. Apply sealant to the head where the cover fits flat.

Apply a thin film of silicone grease to the bottom of the cover (NOT the seal!), cover it completely.

Engage the guide pins and press down on the cover, do NOT use the guide pins to align it, it must slide straight in on the pins. If it "rolls" down going onto the pins, the seal will always roll up and the seal lip will be pointing the wrong way. Doesn't require a large amount of pressure, but it's critical.

Check the entire seal with a mirror to make sure it's not rolled over. If it is, remove the cover, clean it up, apply new sealant to the head, and try again. Verify that the cam seal is good as well, it's easy to flip or cut it.

My friend Hans also loosens the front two head bolts, then retorques them when finished. Claims there is just enough spring in the gasket to allow the seal to stay in place. I've not done that, but I believe it works.

Peter