Finally have my '95 E300 Diesel AC working reliably.  My first problem
(belt slipping) was finally corrected when I broke out the FSM section 83
(HVAC repair) and noticed in one of the pictures how the serpentine belt is
supposed to be routed...ooops... I had figured out possibly the only way to
install the belt wrong, glad I finally figured that out!

During a long highway drive a couple weeks ago, the AC compressor was still
cutting in/out.  I noticed that sometimes the compressor would engage when
I went over a bump.  Surmising that I might have a loose connection
somewhere, I tested the theory by hitting the rumble strip when the
compressor was refusing to engage, and sho' enough it usually would
engage.  At a convenient stop I popped the hood and pulled off the cover
behind the battery, which protects the KLIMA relay.  Moving the relay
slightly would cause the compressor clutch to engage, so I jammed an empty
crushed water-bottle between relay and battery, and that has restored
normal AC function ever since.  I do need to find time to pull that relay
and find the loose connection.

-Max