I'm sure there is at least one heritage and heirloom apple site on the internet, with pictures.

You can indeed identify your tree by the apples.

My boss up in Canada had some trees up the hill behind the house that I think were SnowQueen or Famouse (sp) -- one of the original named apples from ether England or France. The house was originally built before the American Revolution (Sailor's Encampment on St. Joseph's Island, Ontario), and I suspect from the condition and appearent age of the trees, they had been there since the place was built.

Bright but darkish red skin with pronounced red streaks in the flesh, small, and the best tasting apples I've ever eaten.

Peter