Buy a new burner, they are about $15 --try one of the Louisiana places. Or you can just get a new orifice, make sure it's one of the 0.040" ones. You have too much gas and not enough air, partially because the casing of the burner is rough, but mostly because the orifice is too large and the velocity through the mixing portion of the burner is too low, resulting in a yellow, sooty flame.

Just did this for my burner, and a friend replaced his as well, suddenly we both have clean pots and less gas usage. In fact, mine is a bit lean, may have to drill it out a bit for better burning, it tends to blow out.

Turkey friers tend to be VERY cheaply made.

I use mine all the time for canning, mostly for blanching and boiling down tomatoes for sauce. It's great to get all that heat and water outside in the summer!

Peter