me, you and kleb need to go to sarasota on a fact finding mission.  maybe
even kill leona helmsley's dog while there

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> That;s interesting, as I was looking at one of these a few weeks ago and
> noticed that "El Paso Tools" was in the same ZIP code as Baum (they're not
> far from me in Sarasota, FL).  I was wondering if this was a "back door"
> for Baum to sell in the consumer space.
>
> Sounds like it is....
>
> Dan
>

> On Sep 13, 2014, at 12:19 PM, John Reames via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > I ordered a spring compressor from "El Paso Tools" (alkyracer101).
> >
> > It arrived in a box sealed with "Baum Tools Unlimited" paper/filament
> tape.  Inside the box was a heavy-gauge blow-molded case also bearing "Baum
> Tools Unlimited" labels.  Inside the case, the instructions were packed in
> a ziploc bag; the instructions also agreed with the branding.
> >
> > I believe that it's safe to presume that the tool is a Baum product,
> albeit at less than 1/4 of Baum's direct sales cost.
> >
> > The tool itself appears to be of good quality; the center column uses a
> three lug design to hold the lower plate in place and prevent rotation, not
> unlike the Klann model, but I believe that the lugs are larger than the
> Klann ones.  The top end has a conical tapered section to hold the top
> plate in place and six lugs, not unlike a spline to prevent rotation.
> >
> > The center column has ball bearing type thrust bearing.  This explains
> the note that use of power/impact tools would void the warranty, since the
> ball bearing would quickly develop brinelling.  The inner/lower "sleeves"
> are prevented from rotating by several square lugs that ride in grooves.
> The upper section has grooves that are cut all the way through, which
> permits re-lubrication of the screw (which has a trapezoidal type thread
> instead of the square or even triangular threads as are found on cheaper
> units).
> >
> > The screw itself looks to have a black oxide or similar finish, with the
> rest of the center column looks like it has been parkerized with a black
> finish.  It looks like the top end of the tool is possibly a little larger
> in diameter than the Klann unit that I rented from Rusty a while back
> (based on my memory of how it felt in my hand)
> >
> > The plates look to be a lighter grey parkerized finish, and are nice and
> thick; there are two different sizes of plates, just like the Klann.
> >
> > Overall weight of the tool set in its case is close to 15 lbs.  I
> definitely feel safe in using it; I am almost tempted to replace a a
> cracked LCA and ball joints in a W210 despite the rain, but I am not going
> to for safety reasons.
> >
> > I'll let y'all know how well it works after I get those jobs done.  I
> think it's a heck of a good buy at about $150 shipped!
> >
> > -j.
> >
> > --
> > John W Reames
> > jream...@verizon.net
> > Home: +14106646986
> > Mobile: +14437915905

> [...]

*reliable vendor of superior parts for mercedes and other european cars*
*www.BuyEUROparts.com <http://www.BuyEUROparts.com>*