After pulling tripe out of hog bellies on a meat packing company production
line one summer at age 15 during WW-2, I never want to see a piece of trip
again.  It's called omentum in medicine, stores fat, and wraps itself around
infections, cancer, etc. when they occur in the belly.
If I want to eat fat, I'll eat that fine old Deep South dish called "fatback"
or "fat bacon"; not tripe.
(end of rant)
Gerry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_omentum