Jaime Kopchinski wrote:
Hi Manfred,
Why replace the R4?  I've found them to work pretty well and be reasonably
smooth on the diesel.  Power useage isn't too bad on the turbo too.

If you had a york (or a 240D), I'd understand... I just replaced one of
these with a sanden in a 70 280se with good results.  I used a generic
bracket and made my own hoses, but this is much easier with the early cars.

I'm also about to so the same on a 74 240d.  Should be nice.

Jaime

Well the main reason is that mine seems to be going bad. Not
cooling too well despite near normal pressures (little low on the
high and a little high on the low) but the main thing is that
with AC on and compressor turning, the main shaft of it moves in
and out about 1/8 or a bit more when you rev the engine a bit
(2200 appx. on up. With the clutch disengaged the face is right
close. Engaged it still looks right but when the engine is reved
the center of the clutch shaft/hub moves out. Moves back in as it
gets near to idle (1500 rpm). Yes I did check the bolt on the
front of the clutch and it is not the clutch pulley itself that
is moving so that is still tight on the body and has good
bearings. Also when driving using the AC if the engine hits
higher revs (3500 or more) when accelerating or trans kicks down
when passing it seems to be enough to start the clutch sliding
and AC starts blowing warm. If I turn off the AC and wait 5
seconds or so and start it again the AC will start cooling again
but never to where it should be (60 to 70> deg air vent temp at
90>). My 83 300D with the R4 gets down to 45 at the same temps.
Could be I got a marginal compressor when I bought it new. Cant,
return it as it was more then 1.5 years ago when I bought it.

So I figure if I will have to put a new one on I might as well
spend a little more and have a better compressor that will in the
future cost less to replace and should even be a bit better since
it doesn't tend to circulate oil as much as the R4 thus providing
a bit better cooling, not as much oil in the condenser or evap so
less barrier to heat exchange.

Kaleb: the reason for the Sanden over the York is that it uses
less power to do just as good a job.