Can't you just disassemble a digital camera and take the IR filter out?

No.  IR covers a lot of ground, basically from DC to (near) daylight!
The silicon sensors in video/still cameras are sensitive to near-IR.
Far-IR, heat, requires a whole 'nother level of involvement!

Near-IR used to be accomplished with special film, and black-appearing
filters.  (I have one.)  Thermal imaging, when I last played with it,
was a camcorder-ey device with an internal liquid-helium cooling system
(or so they said) like an air conditioner, and ZnS lenses.  Looked like
gray plastic, not glass.  Price was on the order of 1/2 year's salary
for one of the engineers.  Was pretty cool to put your hand against
a heating duct and then see the residual image fade out over a minute
or so after you removed it.  The display used false-color to show heat
levels.

-- Jim