I've been working hard to get my '87 124 diesel wagon back on the road.
Original #14 head cracked and started mixing coolant into the oil a few
years ago, so I found a used #17 head and started taking things apart...

Fast forward to August 2014.  #17 head has been installed, using new MB
head gasket.  Next is exhaust, turbo, injectors, glow plugs, intake
manifold, and numerous other connections.

I realized after I'd mounted the head that I forgot to install a heat
shield that runs the length of the head between exhaust manifold and head.
I had cleverly installed the exhaust manifold prior to putting the head in
place (left turbo in place when I removed the previous head), now I had to
undo that work in-situ, which meant pulling the turbo-charger and ordering
new exhaust manifold gasket, plus turbo oil line gasket.

This #17 head came from an S-class which had the 5 degree inclined
injection system, which uses different injectors (Bosch NA35X).  I traded a
used set of non-inclined injectors (NA36X) with Tim Crone, taken from
Wilton's 126 engine with bad head.  Mark Blevins in Columbia SC offers
injector cleaning/testing/balancing for $20 per injector; he found that two
of the injector bodies were cracked, so I had to source two more used
injectors.  Found a yard in SoCal willing to sell me a set of six for $150
plus shipping, which took them a couple of weeks to get around to sending,
but finally they arrived and I sent two of the best looking up to Mark, who
turned them around in just a couple days.

While waiting for the new gaskets, I installed a new Nissen condenser (and
receiver/dryer), pulled a vacuum, and added about 1.5 ounces of PAG-46
compressor oil and one can of R-134.

I also removed the alternator, took it apart to test the rectifier, cleaned
and assembled, and had FLAPS test it.  They gave it a thumbs up, so it was
re-installed.

Installed a new Bosch solenoid on the starter, and installed the starter.

Installed the used-but-nearly-new Nissens radiator I scored at the Richmond
junk yard several months ago.  Noted that the Nissens hose connections are
pure plastic, whereas the Behr radiator I pulled out has brass inserts to
prevent cracking.

Got all the exhaust manifold / turbo stuff sorted when the gaskets arrived
from the Classic Center (along with some rubber vacuum line bits and new
seal ring for the timing chain tightener), had a new set of glow plugs that
matched what came out of this head (but now I'm wondering if they are
correct, need to check the numbers).  Installed all the new injectors.

I began to fret about contamination of the oil passages (this head has been
sitting in my garage in a plastic bag since it came back from the machine
shop a couple years ago).  Decided that I would remove the camshaft and the
hydraulic lifters, and then crank the engine to force oil to flow out of
all the supply holes in order to flush any contamination.

Used an extension from my 1/2 inch socket/wrench set as an axle to hold the
camshaft gear with some tension on the timing chain, along with the
official MB tool for holding the timing chain in place against same gear.
This was a bit fiddly and made me nervous, really didn't want to have the
timing chain jam and break and set me back further, but ended up working
just fine.

Rigged a under-hood wire to activate the starter (via solenoid) by touching
wire to the battery positive (borrowed the battery from my '95 sedan, TWW
battery is now six years old and dead with sulfate-covered plates).
Plugged in the block heater.  Removed all the glow plugs to relieve
cylinder compression forces and get faster cranking (more oil pressured).
Covered the head with a rag in case the oil sprayed with too much force,
stuffed a rag into the hole left by the timing chain tightener, and
commenced cranking.

After 30 seconds of cranking, no oil yet.  Let the starter cool for a
minute or two and let the battery charger add some energy to the battery,
then tried again.  Now I had oil flowing into the #1 camshaft bearing
supply hole.  Let that flow thick and black for about thirty seconds.
Rolled up a rag and jammed that between my cam gear axle and the supply
hole, let starter rest and then cranked again.

Now I had oil flow for all four hydraulic lifter supply holes for cylinders
#1 and #2.  Repeated a second 30-second flush cycle, then installed
hydraulic lifters.  Continued working down the line, until each supply hole
for either cam bearing or lifter had seen good oil flow for two 30-second
cycles.  I had to use fingers to plug cam bearing holes to build pressure
for the #5,6 and 7 cam bearings.  Started to get pretty busy: Clip starter
solenoid power wire to battery to commence cranking, start 30 second timer
on my phone, plug holes with fingers, watch other holes and timer and
timing chain, notice oil leaking off the side of the head, let go of holes
and quickly remove power to starter at expiration of timer, wipe up oil and
try to position rags better, insert hydraulic lifters as required, repeat
until satisfied.

Whew!  Clean up mess, re-set the crank to TDC and install camshaft, timing
chain tightener, valve cover, glow plugs.

Getting all the intake / turbo / exhaust plumbing in place is a real pain
on these OM603 engines.  Finally had no more parts left over to install on
the passenger side of the block, so moved over and finished up the intake
side.

Next day I started by plugging in the block heater again.  Warm oil and
more heat in the combustion chambers should be a good thing when starting
an engine that's been dormant for six months or so.  The original
injections lines where a bit fiddly to install onto inclined injectors, but
they went on.  Left the top connections loose for purging the air.  One
last thorough look around the engine compartment to make sure all was
ready.  Disconnected the battery charger and hooked up the negative battery
terminal.  After two 30-second cranks with the accelerator pedal held to
the floor, I had fuel at all the injector line fittings.  Tightened all
those down, and the engine started on the fourth 30-second crank.  After a
bit of roughness passed, she idled very smoothly.