> Craig wrote:
>
> Does anyone still use CB radios anymore?

Yeah - I have a CB radios - and use em.

> Rich wrote:
>
> Just buy some of those little hand-held radios, they are cheap and some have
> quite
> good range, certainly enough for car-car.

Those little FRS radios work, but are a pain because they aren't loud
enough and
the range is crummy with the tiny antenna inside the car.  You can be
out of range
before the car is out of sight.

> Craig wrote:
>
> Any suggestions on antennas?

There are magnet mount antennas that are quick and easy to install.
With CB, 1/4 wave is _long_ (11 meter wavelength) so in general a longer
antenna is a better one.  But with magnet mount, too long means it's prone
to wind un-mounting. *smiles*

Wilson makes good antennas, if you are wanting to invest.
<http://www.amazon.com/WILSON-305-38-300-Watt-Little-Antenna/dp/B001AAT94W/>

For short term, one trip I'd just get something that isn't expensive.
<http://www.amazon.com/Midland-18-2442-Mobile-CB-Antenna/dp/B0000ATNH3/>
<www.amazon.com/Cobra-HG-Base-Load-Small-Antenna/dp/B00005N5X1/>

Be aware the rental truck _may_ have a fiberglass (or other
non-metallic material)
body that a magnet won't "stick" to nor will act as a ground plane for
the antenna.
There are balanced antennas, often called "no ground plane antennas"
available - but
that doesn't help with the mounting.

> Is there any benefit from contact with truckers (road conditions, et al.)
> that CB radio would afford?

Maybe.  Almost every big truck has a radio.  In the last few years,
most of those
seem to be turned off.  It's becoming rare to find a driver with his
radio on.  But if
there is trouble (congestion, lane closed, etc) the band becomes
active.  Finding
out which lane is close, or how long the backup, etc can be handy.
Channel 19 is the the "highway channel" pretty much everywhere except the
west coast.

A agree with Jim that the Uniden 510 is a good radio.  It's one of my favorite
small-form CBs.  It's big brother the 520 has more control, but is hard to find.