Most Swiss males have an automatic weapon (usually a SIG SG550 - Gasp! there's an assault rifle in every home!) issued to them for Home Guard use. They keep these fully automatic weapons with ammo along with semi-auto sidearms (pistols) in their homes. It doesn't get much air time because gun violence is so low and the commonality of guns doesn't fit the anti-gun agenda of the media.

Also, in defense (sort of) NYC cops and their apparent lack of shooting skills -- it seems most cops have a similar problem. Around here (Va.), whenever there's a officer involved shooting, the officer invariably empties their magazine. Newspaper coverage of other officer-involved shootings have similar comments.

re Lead at gun ranges - Hmm... how is all that lead being exposed to the users? I go to an outdoor shooting range every Wednesday and the lead is either buried in a berm after we shoot it or it's in little boxes it comes in usually encased in a copper jacket. I'd bet money lead levels are very low/non-existent. Any news story concerning lead being tracked home is likely distorted by an anti-gun attitude.

LarryT