Think it may work on a macbook 1.1 or Macbook pro 8.1? Both have maxed out memory according to OWC.

For you Macheads out there, I just installed Yosemite on my MacPro using a custom bootloader. I've used the same means to do so with previous version of OS X that weren't supported by Apple for my "antiquated" hardware - a MacPro 1,1 upgraded to 2,1 firmware with 14GB of RAM, four drives (boot drive is a 128GB SSD), ATI HD 5870 with flashed firmware and dual 23" Cinema Displays.

Yosemite is running great from a secondary drive and I'll continue to run it in parallel with Mavericks for a week or so until I'm convinced it's stable. At that point I'll move it on to the SSD and run it as my primary operating system.

The bootloader approach to installing Yosemite is pretty simple and can be done by just about anyone. Earlier OS versions using Mavericks have been automated by a developer with a utility he wrote called "SFOTT", In this case all you need is a copy of Mavericks and a USB drive and you can easily load Mavericks on a legacy Mac that isn't supported (by Apple) for Mavericks.

He has already started the process to make SFOTT work with Yosemite but has some work to do for it to work with the golden master release.

If you have questions about this drop me a PM and I'll be more than happy to assist. This whole arrangement of supporting older OS' on legacy hardware has been great - I have a fantastic piece of hardware that can run the latest operating systems without issues.

MacDan