I think there are two approaches:  (1) get a .22 cal pistol which is fun and
cheap to shoot with low recoil or (2) get a center-fire pistol which can
also be used for home- and self-defense.  Until recently, .22 ammo has been
hard to find and costly, but that's finally changing, .22 rounds are now
well below .10 each and cost .04-.06 in bulk in normal times.  The cheapest
center fire round is 9mm, which cost about .20 each in normal times for
practice ammo.

>From what I've seen, .22 auto-loading pistols use zinc or aluminum slides
(it's a mass issue) so they aren't as durable as steel guns.  I have a
Walther P22; it's a decent gun but there are a series of owner "tweaks" that
should be done to fix several design/production issues (Google Walther P22
Bible).  Ruger us well known for several target pistols in .22 cal.  There
are several newer .22 pistols from well-known builders (like S&W) but I have
no first-hand knowledge.  In general, rim-fire ammo is less reliable than
center-fire ammo and doesn't feed as well from box magazines because of the
rim.  For target shooting, that is not so important.  If here is interest in
a .22 pistol, check out the site "Rimfire Central."

In center fire pistols, there are MANY options.  I would stick with a major
US-made brand (like Ruger or S&W).  The way the gun fits the shooter's hand
is critical so I think it's best to start with a trip to a gun store that
carries a good selection (or gun show) and try several to see how they feel
in the hand.  For a first gun, a full-size (vs subcompact) gun will hold
more rounds, be easier to shoot well, and will have less recoil.  The
compact and sub-compact models are a compromise intended for concealed carry
but they are less desirable under all other conditions (like home defense or
target shooting).  "Handgun Forum" is a decent source of online information
here.

Finally, go online and check out your local state gun laws.  Laws for
handguns are generally different than for long guns.

Scott

22, 6'4", and weighs about 160 if that, if it matters. We're not  looking
for power, just basic handling and learning target practice.