Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
I certainly don't want to wander into the political side of this discussion for
obvious reasons, I'm just curious as to the mechanics of such things never
having experienced them.

If I understand you correctly, sales like those that take place online, such as
you would see at gunbroker.com, are considered private sales? I realize they
require someone with an FFL to receive the gun, but there is nothing in the way
of a background check or anything like that taking place with these
transactions, correct?

I'm pretty sure that in FL you just have to pass the NICS check if buying from a dealer (and fill out all necessary paperwork) or hand over the cash if buying from an individual.

As far as gunbroker is concerned, virtually everybody selling there is a dealer.
If you could find a local private seller you could meet him face to face and do a paperless transaction. If he ships it to a FFL, the FFL has to log it into his bound book, and fill out the paperwork and run the NICS check to transfer it from his inventory to you, even though the FFL never owned it.

Mitch.