There was an excellent technical article on the Mercedes engine which
powered the Me109 in the Star, circa 2002, I think.  The article seems to be
online (http://star.mbca.org/i/123264/56) but I discontinued my MBCA
membership.  Like our old Diesel cars, that engine had numerous interesting
and unique features, for example, the jugs screwed into the crankcase.